Train. Train. Train or be derailed I read in a book once. I am not comfortable in front of a camera and my writing is around a third grade level. So why not attack both and be socially awkward for millions to see. I want to put myself out to the world, not to be cool but to hold myself accountable to my goals.
I think what I do is pretty cool. The idea of running up mountains for 30+ hours straight is pretty insane to the normal person. Friends and family push me to document, “the journey”. So I decided to figure out how to do it. Social media is my new side job.
Where do you even begin? Yes, what I do is interesting but how do you show others in a way for them to think it’s as kick ass cool as it actually is? I will break down the basics of what I did and why. Things are in the beginning stages of awesomeness.
1. Strava – This is the link to my Strava profile. I track all my runs and cycling on here. I take CrossFit 5 days a week. I used to post those but it got to be to much. I have it to where almost every post I publish gets around 1k likes. I feel cool because most elites don’t even touch that statistic. Being Liked is a previous article I wrote explaining how I get so many Kudos (that is a strava like).
2. Instagram -This is the link to my Instagram profile. I add something to this almost everyday. It is usually a clever but dumb selfie I take and I caption it with the training stats for the day. The cool thing about this is I can post certain video clips and it attaches to my Facebook page. That kills 2 birds with one stone. (Disclaimer: I never killed a bird before.)
3. Facebook – This is the link to my Facebook profile. I have 2 accounts in facebook. I have my personal one and I have my RosserRuns account. The reason I have 2 of them is so I can keep all the sarcastic, funny everyday posts on my personal account. The RosserRuns account I have 99.99% running related things attached to it. This is easier to keep life organized. My feed is all running. I do Facebook live often. I add photos in an OCD way that I don’t post on any of the other media outlets. Any cool article and videos I see from around the interwebs I post to the running page. Friend requests are welcome.
4. YouTube – This is the link to my YouTube channel. This is the one I am making the most progress at. I have an old school commodore 64 as a computer so my software crashes upon every edit I make. I have a GoPro and a Samasung Galaxy S5 that I take all of my photos and videos on. I have 2 series that I am currently working on.
- 30 Seconds – I am in the middle of a climbing Mt Everest Challenge. The jist of that is I am trying to climb over 29,000ft in 30 days. Most of my training I take the GoPro out with me to get footage. If I get some good footage that day I put together a 30second preview and link my strava run to it. I save the longer edits for my origions series.
- the origions – This is my work in progress. I enjoy this the most. I figure out new editing techniques each week. The videos get longer and I receive more feedback which I use for the next episode. This I want to pump out a video or two a week showing my training. So this I will have my crossfit, cycling and running in the videos. The Eastern States 100 that I am training for isn’t until August so I should get a lot of videos in by then.
I am not that comfortable in front of the camera yet. I guess it comes with time. Just like everyone else I have the self image thing going on. Each video gets more of my talking and explaining things which I see as a plus. Very shortly I will be doing reviews on the gear that I use. I am not sponsored and I don’t get any freebies so what I review will be just from my experience with the product. My main thing is just to get some real content on the channel so people have a reason to subscribe and come back. If you have any ideas for the channel I will listen to them.
5. WordPress Blogs – This is the link to my RosserRuns blogs. At times my words are unfiltered thoughts that flow from my chaotic brain. I want to have this site as the main hub to all that is RosserRuns. I will get a few articles in a week. I may also have some guest writers doing alternative stories to reach a larger audience. I have a web design background so I will have the article as interactive as possible with clickable links and widgets. One day when I upgrade the account I will have videos embedded as well to make life easier for all.
Like, Follow & Share. Blah. Blah. Blah.